Recipe by The FruitGuys
- 1 pound dried black-eyed peas
- One small onion, chopped
- One tablespoon minced garlic
- Three tablespoons brown sugar
- One tablespoon mustard
- One teaspoon salt
- One 16 ounce can of tomato sauce
- Rinse and soak black-eyed peas overnight (or at least 8 hours) in plenty of water.
- Drain and cook black-eyed peas in about 3 cups water, occasionally stirring, until soft, (about an hour.) Add more water if necessary.
- Preheat the oven to 300 °F.
- Drain and reserve the cooking liquid.
- In a skillet over medium heat, saute onions for about 8 minutes.
- Place peas in a heavy casserole dish; add onions.
- Stir in 1/2 cup reserved liquid, brown sugar, mustard, salt, and tomato sauce.
- Bake at 300 °F for 30 minutes or until liquid starts to bubble and black-eyed peas are cooked through.
- Add more cooking liquid if it looks dry.
- Serve warm.
This recipe serves 6. Prep time, 20 minutes; cook time, overnight plus about two hours.