Recipe by The FruitGuys
- One bunch Swiss chard
- Two tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Two garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon dried hot
- Red-pepper flakes (optional)
- 3/4 pound penne pasta
- 1/2 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese (additional for serving optional)
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil.
- Meanwhile, cut out center ribs and stems from chard, then thoroughly wash, along with leaves, in several changes of cold water.
- Cut ribs and stems crosswise into 1/4-inch-thin pieces and coarsely chop leaves.
- Sauté the garlic and red pepper flakes (optional) in a tablespoon or so of olive oil over medium heat in a large frying pan.
- Add chard stems and salt, and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Add chard leaves and simmer, partially covered, until chard stems are tender about 5 minutes.
- Cook pasta until al dente, drain pasta in a colander, and reserve 1/2 cup pasta-cooking water.
- Add pasta to chard mixture with cheese and salt to taste and toss until combined well. Thin with some of the reserved pasta water if necessary.
- Serve warm.