By Bridget Meigs
1 Delicata squash
2 tablespoons olive oil
½ teaspoon salt
Lettuce or spring greens
⅓ cup extra virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons whole-grain mustard
1 clove garlic, peeled, and minced
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 450°F.
- Oil a large, shallow baking sheet. Cut off stem end of squash, then put cut side down and halve lengthwise. Discard seeds, peel if desired, and cut squash into ½-inch slices.
- Toss with olive oil, and arrange in one layer on a baking pan.
- Roast until golden, about 15 minutes.
- While squash is roasting, wash lettuce or spring greens. If using lettuce, rip it into bite-sized pieces. Arrange on serving plates.
- Slice avocado in half, remove the pit and peel. Slice into ¼–inch thick pieces lengthwise. Arrange avocado around the bed of greens.
- Remove squash from the oven, turn squash over with a spatula and allow to cool.
- Prepare Balsamic vinaigrette by combining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, mustard, salt, pepper, and garlic.
- Arrange cooled squash on bed of salad greens, dress, and serve immediately.
Serves 4. Prep time, 15 minutes; cook time, 20 minutes.