Adapted from Gourmet Magazine
- 2 leeks, white part only, cut into ½-inch slices
- 3 turnips, peeled, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 4-5 red potatoes, peeled, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 2-3 Chioggia beets, scrubbed, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 Tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 head garlic, ½ inch trimmed off the top
- Preheat oven to 450 °F.
- Combine leeks, turnips, red potatoes, and beets in a large roasting pan.
- Top with bay leaves and drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil. Sprinkle with thyme, salt, and freshly ground black pepper, and toss to coat thoroughly.
- Place garlic, cut side up, on a piece of foil and drizzle with remaining tablespoon oil.
- Wrap garlic in foil and place on the oven shelf.
- Place roasting pan next to garlic in the oven, and roast until vegetables are just tender and slightly browned about 35 minutes.
- Unwrap garlic. Squeeze cloves from their skins, slice cloves and toss with roasted vegetables.