4 potatoes, scrubbed
2 carrots, peeled and cut into 3–inch chunks
1 tablespoon butter, cut in half
1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
1 leek, white and pale green parts only, halved, rinsed well under running water, and thinly sliced crosswise (about 1 cup)
1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cover potatoes and carrots with cold water in a large pot. There should be 1–inch of water covering the vegetables. Add ½ teaspoon of salt and boil until vegetables are just tender when pierced with a knife (20 minutes). Drain vegetables and cool completely, then chill in a container for at least 8 hours.
- Quarter potatoes length-wise and cut cross-wise into ½-inch pieces. Slice the carrots into ½-inch-thick discs.
- Heat ½ of the butter in a 12-inch skillet over low to medium heat. Add the garlic, leeks, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and stir occasionally, until leeks become translucent and start to brown slightly (6 minutes). Transfer onions to a bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in the skillet over moderately high heat and sauté the potatoes and carrots, stirring occasionally, until golden (7 to 8 minutes). Add leeks and sauté, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are golden brown (2 minutes). Add the remaining ½ of the butter and sauté veggies until the butter is melted.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Serves 4. Prep time, 20 minutes; cook time, 15 minutes (after chilling for 8 hours).