Adapted from Bon Appétit
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 jalapeno chili pepper, seeds removed and finely minced
2 stalks of celery, rinsed and chopped
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 cups vegetable broth (may substitute chicken broth or water)1 to 2 sweet potatoes, peeled, and cut into ½-inch pieces
1 14½-to-16-ounce can diced tomatoes
½ cup of a tomato-based salsa
2 cups cooked pinto beans
1½ teaspoons grated orange peel
2 tablespoons cilantro (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a heavy medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and sauté until onion becomes golden brown, about 4 minutes.
- Add the jalapeno pepper and celery and sauté for 4 more minutes until celery starts to soften and browns slightly.
- Add chili powder and stir 1 minute. Add broth and pieces of sweet potato.
- Cover the pan and reduce heat to medium and simmer until sweet potato is almost tender (pierces with a fork), about 10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes with their juices, salsa, and pinto beans. Simmer uncovered until chili thickens and potato is very tender, about 10 minutes.
- Mix in an orange peel and cilantro, if desired.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Serves 2–3. Prep time, 8 minutes; cook time, 30–35 minutes.