1. Place pinto beans in a medium, thick-bottomed saucepan.
2. Cover the beans with water, at least three inches above the beans.
3. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook covered, for 10 to 15 minutes.
4. Turn off the heat and let the beans sit for one hour with the lid on. The beans will then be plump and ready to cook.
5. Remove the lid after the hour and pour out the water. You can put the beans in a colander again if you prefer.
6. Add fresh water, covering beans at least one inch above the beans.
7. Bring beans to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook beans with lid on for about two hours, checking every 30 minutes to make sure beans continue to have enough water. (Add more if necessary.)
8. Once beans have cooked through (are easy to pierce with a fork), remove them from heat, drain excess water (or use a colander).
9. Add to a burrito or to the Pinto Bean Sweet Potato Chili or refrigerate for use that week.