- 6 ounces fingerling potatoes
- 1/2 pound green cabbage cut into large squares or strips
- 4 tablespoons butter, browned
- 1/4 cup Taleggio or Fontina cheese, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh sage, chopped
- Salt and freshly milled pepper to taste
- Scrub fingerlings and slice diagonally into ¼-inch-thick pieces.
- Place in a steamer and cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes, then remove to a large bowl and cover to keep warm.
- Steam the chopped cabbage until tender, about 5-10 minutes.
- While the cabbage is steaming, brown the butter: place butter in a thick skillet under medium heat.
- Cut 4 tablespoons butter (half stick) into slices and add.
- Cook the butter, whisking frequently until it foams and light-brown flecks appear. Remove from heat.
- Add the cooked cabbage to the potatoes and toss with the brown butter. Add the cheeses, chopped sage, and salt and pepper to taste. Serve as a side dish or with pasta of your choice.
Note: regular melted butter may be substituted if desired.