Recipe by Bridget Meigs
- Three yams/sweet potatoes
- 4 to 5 beets
- One red onion
- Two tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Three tablespoons olive oil
- Two cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- One teaspoon whole grain mustard
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Remove beet tops if beets have greens attached.
- Scrub beets and yams well, peel, and slice into ¼–inch wedges.
- Peel red onion and slice into ½–inch chunks.
- Place all vegetables into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt, and pepper together and then pour over the vegetables and toss well.
- Transfer vegetables to large cookie sheet and place in the preheated oven.
- Roast for 15–20 minutes and then turn veggies with a large spatula or spoon.
- Return veggies to the oven and roast for an additional 20 minutes until they are easy to pierce with a fork and yams appear to be slightly crispy.
Serves 4. Prep time, 15 minutes; cook time, 40 minutes.