Adapted from Gourmet
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2–4 white Hakurei turnips, trimmed and left unpeeled
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped thyme
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 °F with rack in middle.
- Melt butter in an ovenproof 12-inch heavy skillet, then cool.
- Slice turnips paper-thin with slicer if you have one, otherwise slice as safely and thinly as possible with a knife, then arrange one third of slices, overlapping tightly, in skillet, keeping remaining slices covered with dampened paper towels. Sprinkle with about a third of thyme, kosher salt, and cayenne. Make 2 more layers.
- Cook, covered, over medium heat until underside is browned, about 10 minutes. Add cream and cook, covered, until center is tender, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle evenly with cheese, then bake, uncovered, until golden and bubbling, 10 to 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Serves 3–4. Active time, 20 minutes; total time, 1 hour.
Cook’s note: For paper-thin slices, use an adjustable-blade slicer or mandoline (optional).