Adapted from foodnetwork.com
- 1 sugar cane, washed well and cut into 1/4-inch sticks, tapered to a point on each end to form skewers (leave the skin on—it helps strengthen the skewers)
- 1 pineapple cut into 2-inch cubes
- 1 banana cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 apple cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 mango cut into 2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- Combine the honey and lime zest in a small bowl and set aside until ready to use.
- Thread each sugar cane skewer with a piece of pineapple, banana, apple, and mango, and repeat with the same fruit in the same sequence. Follow this procedure for the remaining skewers.
- Preheat oven to 450 °F. Place the kebabs on a broil pan and cook, for about 3 minutes.
- Turn the kebabs over to the opposite side and cook for another 3 minutes, brushing with half of the lime-honey.
- Turn over again and cook for 1 minute while you brush the remainder of the honey on the second side of the kebab.
- Turn once more and cook for 1 minute longer on the second side.
- Serve immediately.
Serves 4. Prep time, 10–15 minutes; cook time, 10 minutes.
Cook’s note: Sugar cane kebabs may also be cooked on a grill. Also, sugar cane is delicious raw—just peel, slice into stalks, rinse, and chew (but don’t swallow). Chewing on the stalks extracts the juice of the sugar cane. Discard the stalks when finished.