Recipe by The FruitGuys
- 1 bunch of kale
- 2 tablespoons green garlic or 2 cloves regular garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion (or half a large onion), chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Vegetable broth
- Salt and pepper
- Wash greens well and tear or chop into bite-sized pieces.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat and add the onion. Sauté onion for approximately 2 minutes and add in green garlic. Sauté another couple of minutes, and add in chopped greens.
- Greens will quickly start to shrink as they’re being sautéed. Add in a couple of tablespoons of veggie broth for moisture and added flavor.
- Sauté until greens are tender and season with salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 3–4 as a side dish. Prep time, 5 minutes; cook time, 10–15 minutes.
Cook’s note: The following extras may be added to greens—individually or all at once!
- Toasted pine nuts or sliced almonds: Before serving, sprinkle greens with toasted pine nuts or toasted, sliced almonds.
- Dried cranberries: Add 2 tablespoons of dried cranberries to skillet just before greens have finished cooking (you don’t want them to be too soft).
- Pepper flakes: Sprinkle ¼ teaspoon (or more if you like it spicy) of red pepper flakes into the pan and stir right before adding the greens.
- Fresh lemon juice: After removing the pan from heat, squeeze a half-lemon over greens.
- Freshly shaved cheese: When ready to serve, sprinkle greens with freshly shaved Parmesan, Parmigiano-Reggiano, Romano, Asiago, or any other hard cheese.