By Julie Collins
- 1 pound Red New Potatoes
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped
- 3 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large saucepan combine potatoes with enough salted water to cover by 1 inch and simmer until just tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and cool until they can be handled.
- While potatoes are cooling, in a large bowl whisk together garlic, 3 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice, mayonnaise, and hot water.
- Peel potatoes and cut in half.
- Add potatoes and chives to dressing and toss well.
- Season salad with additional lemon juice and salt and pepper.
- Salad may be made 1 day ahead and kept chilled, covered.
- Before serving, toss the salad with 1 to 2 tablespoons water to moisten dressing.
- Serve salad at room temperature.
Serves 4 generously. Prep time, 15 minutes; Cook time, 30 minutes.