Recipe courtesy of Tanya Milosevich
- 1 globe eggplant
- 1 bunch cherry tomatoes
- 1 8 oz ball of fresh mozzarella, sliced crosswise
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 6 to 8 leaves fresh basil, torn into small pieces, or cut into chiffonade strips
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Prepare grill (or broiler) on medium-high.
- Slice eggplant crosswise about 1/4 inch thick and brush with olive oil.
- Salt the eggplant lightly.
- Skewer the cherry tomatoes and salt lightly.
- Simultaneously grill the eggplant and tomato skewers on each side about 5 to 7 minutes.
- The eggplant should turn golden and soft.
- Place a piece of eggplant on each plate and top with a slice of mozzarella.
- Top the mozzarella with a couple of grilled tomatoes, some fresh basil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Finish with a drizzle of good extra virgin olive oil.
Preparation time: 10 minutes; Cook time: 10 to 12 minutes. Serves 4.
Cook’s note: Any soft, mild cheese will work if fresh mozzarella is not available.