Adapted from kitchenscraps.ca
- 3 carrots
- ½ cup white vinegar
- ½ cup of water
- Medium-sized nob of ginger, sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- In a pan, bring the water, vinegar, salt, sugar, and ginger up to a boil.
- When it reaches a boil, shut off the heat, and let it steep for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash all your carrots and use your peeler to peel off long strips of carrot.
- Peel three or four ribbons off one side, then rotate and peel from another side until you are left with a skinny little carrot and a lovely pile of carrot ribbons.
- Put the ribbons in a heatproof glass container or bowl.
- Strain the warm pickling liquid over the carrots making sure they are fully submerged and cover with plastic wrap. Allow the carrots to cool to room temperature then transfer the carrots and liquid into jars and keep in the fridge for up to a month.
Serves 4. Cook time, 15 minutes
Enjoy these pickles with tuna salad, roast meat, or on good bread with cream cheese.