Recipe by FruitGuys’ Rachel Schiros
- 1½ cups summer squash (yellow or patty pan), cut into thick slices
- 2 cups fresh green or yellow wax beans, stems trimmed off
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 leek, most of the green leaves trimmed off, thinly sliced
- ⅔ cups bread crumbs
- Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to boil over high heat.
- While waiting for the water to come to a boil, briefly sauté garlic in olive oil over medium-high heat until golden. Be careful not to burn.
- Add butter and leeks to garlic and cook over medium heat until leeks are translucent about 7-9 minutes.
- While the leek mixtures cooks, toss beans and squash into boiling water for 3-5 minutes, until crisp-tender.
- Drain beans and squash into a colander and rinse with cold water.
- Add bread crumbs to leeks and sauté until bread crumbs begin to brown.
- Add beans and squash and toss to coat.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Serve immediately.
Serves 2-4 as a side dish. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 20 minutes.