Recipe by The FruitGuys’ Rachel Schiros
- 4 tablespoons coconut oil (or butter or olive oil)
- 1–2 medium-size sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 4–5 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 large sweet potato or small butternut squash (or other hard squash), peeled and cubed
- 2–3 red, orange, or yellow sweet bell peppers, chopped in large pieces
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 3 ears sweet corn (kernels sliced off of cobs)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and drained garbanzo beans, cubed tofu, or cubed cooked chicken
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
Garnish, divided between bowls
- 6 tablespoons fresh herbs (oregano, cilantro, dill, or chives work well), finely diced
- 3/4–1 cup sour cream, Greek yogurt, or coconut milk
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot.
- When completely melted, add onions, garlic, and salt. Stir frequently, until onions and garlic begin to brown, about 10 minutes
- Add sweet potato or squash and bell peppers. Stir frequently until sweet potato or squash is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stirring constantly, increase heat to high until vegetables are sizzling and add vegetable broth.
- Reduce heat to medium-high, and add remaining soup ingredients. Simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Allow to cool slightly and garnish each bowl with 1 tablespoon herbs and 1–2 tablespoons sour cream, Greek yogurt or coconut milk.
Prep time, 20 minutes; cook time, 55 minutes. Serves 5–6.