Recipe by Karla Milosevich
- 1 head romaine lettuce
- 1 head radicchio
- 1 apple or pear (or a combination), thinly sliced
- Chopped nuts (walnuts and pecans work quite well) to taste (optional)
- Crumbled cheese (gorgonzola, blue, or goat cheese) to taste (optional)
- Olive oil
- Balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Wash romaine and radicchio well, tear into bite-sized pieces and spin dry in a salad spinner (or blot gently with a cloth or paper towels until dry—paper towels can be dried out and reused).
- Add sliced apples or pears (or both), and drizzle lightly with olive oil and balsamic vinegar; start with around 2 tablespoons of olive oil and 2 teaspoons of vinegar. Toss gently and add more oil and vinegar as necessary.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add extras such as chopped nuts and crumbled cheese of your choice.
Serves 3–4. Prep time, 15–20 minutes (depending on whether or not a salad spinner is used).