Recipe by Tanya Milosevich
- ½ sweet onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2–3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon curry powder (or more if you like a strong curry flavor)
- 2–3 cups Carnival (or other) winter squash, peeled and diced
- 2–3 cups vegetable broth or water (or a combo) just enough to cover squash
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat and add onion, garlic, and curry powder.
- Sauté until onions are translucent, then add the squash and broth or water.
- Simmer until squash is tender, 15 minutes or so.
- Puree using an immersion blender or another device.
- Add and adjust seasoning to taste, and serve.
Serves 4. Prep time, 20 minutes; cook time, 25 minutes.
Cook’s note: Carnival squash can be challenging to peel. Here is a good method—start at the base of one side of the stem, and cut the squash in half following its natural recessed ridges. De-seed, then cut slices along the remaining recesses and peel individual slices using a paring knife. This soup would be great topped with crispy, roasted Brussels sprouts or garlic croutons.