Adapted from a-gitate.blogspot.com
- 1 Hachiya Persimmon (about 1 cup persimmon pulp)
- 1 ½ cups unbleached flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- ½ stick (4 tablespoons) butter
- A ½ cup of sugar
- ½ large egg (or 1 small egg)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- ¼ cup chopped dried cranberries (optional)
- Wash the persimmon, discard the stem, puree in a food processor until smooth (with or without skin – your preference.)
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Sift flour, soda, spices together.
- In a larger bowl, with an electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until well mixed (about 2 minutes.)
- Beat in egg, then fold in persimmon pulp.
- Stir in flour mixture, making a soft dough.
- Mix in walnuts and cranberries if using.
- Drop heaping tablespoons of dough 1–2 inches apart on a lightly greased cookie sheet/parchment paper.
- Bake 15–20 minutes or until lightly brown, rotating the baking sheet halfway through.
Cook’s note: Make sure the Hachiya persimmon is ripe before using it in this recipe. Wait until it is custard-soft, with a jelly-like consistency.