Adapted from foodnetwork.com
- 1 bunch kale, stalks removed and discarded, leaves thinly sliced
- 1 large or 2 small beets, roasted (see below), cooled, peeled, and diced
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1½ teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon minced shallots or red onion (optional)
- ⅓ cup Gorgonzola or blue cheese, crumbled (optional)
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
How to Roast Beets
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Rinse beets and trim off any leafy tops.
- Wrap beets in foil and place on middle rack in oven. Roast until tender and easily pierced with a knife (about 1 hour), and remove from oven.
- When beets are cool enough to handle, peel using a paring knife or by pushing off the skin with your fingers.
- In a large serving bowl, add the kale, half the lemon juice, a drizzle of oil, and a little kosher salt. Massage well until kale starts to soften and wilt, about 2–3 minutes. Set aside while you make the dressing.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining lemon juice with Dijon mustard and shallots. Stream in the ¼ cup of oil while whisking until dressing emulsifies.
- Pour dressing over the kale, add diced apples and beets, and toss until nicely coated in the vinaigrette.
- Add crumbled cheese and walnuts to taste, and season with salt and pepper.
Serves 3–4. Prep time, 15 minutes (not including roasting beets).