Recipe by Tanya Milosevich
- 3–4 russet potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 5–6 fresh sage leaves, torn in pieces (optional)
- 1/2–1 cup Gruyí¨re cheese, grated
- 2 cups cream, half and half, or milk
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 °F, and butter a medium casserole dish.
- Warm the olive oil with the sage leaves (if using) in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced onion and cook until translucent, 10–15 minutes. Spread onions into the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Gently mix potatoes, cheese, and cream/milk in a bowl, and pour over onions.
- Cover casserole dish with foil, and bake 30–40 minutes or until potatoes are soft when pierced with a knife.
- Remove foil, increase heat to 425 °F, and bake until the top is slightly browned—another 5–10 minutes.
Serves 2–4. Prep time, 15 minutes; cook time, 45 minutes to an hour.