Adapted from allrecipes.com
- 3–4 small turnips
- 1 cup onion of any kind, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Sauté onions on medium-low in a skillet with half the butter.
- Meanwhile, slice turnips as thinly as possible. Once the onion is just starting to soften, add turnips to the skillet with the rest of the butter. Cook for 5 minutes, reduce heat to low and cook until soft. Once done, season to taste.
- Sprinkle with juice, toss to coat, and serve.
Serves 2–3. Prep time, 5 minutes; cook time, 15 minutes.
Cook’s note: Also try this recipe with other sliced root veggies and/or mushrooms. Fresh herbs, such as rosemary, add a lovely touch and try adding a couple of dashes of red wine. Or omit wine and herbs and try dried spices, such as curry and cinnamon or cumin and garlic.