Adapted from The New Basics Cookbook
- 1–2 cups potatoes of your choice, washed well and cut in 1-inch dice (peels optional)
- 1 cup kohlrabi bulb(s), trimmed and cut in 1-inch dice
- ¾ cup onion (any kind), chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup cream, milk, or veggie stock
- 2–3 tablespoons of butter (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To trim kohlrabi bulbs, remove the fibrous outer layer, stems, and leaves.
- Bring a saucepan of lightly salted water to a boil, and add potato and kohlrabi chunks.
- Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a skillet. Add onion and sauté over medium-low heat until softened, about 3–5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Drain potato and kohlrabi chunks and place in a food processor.
- Add cream, milk, or stock, and butter, if using.
- Purée until smooth, adding more or less liquid to achieve desired consistency. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer purée to a saucepan and reheat over low heat, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Serve warm with a drizzle of olive oil on top.
Serves 3–4. Prep time, 10–15 minutes; cook time, 15 minutes.