Recipe by Rebecca Dienner for The FruitGuys
- Beets, 2–3 large or 4–6 small, trimmed and well cleaned
- ½ cup onion, thinly sliced (yellow, white, red, or green)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional additions: Sliced orange, tangerine, or grapefruit; sliced avocado; fresh chopped herbs; toasted walnuts or pine nuts; and/or serve on a small bed of tender greens
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Wrap each beet in tin foil and place on a baking sheet.
- Roast for about 50–60 minutes (start checking at 30 minutes).
- Beets are done when a fork can be very easily inserted into them.
- Once cooked, open foil, and let beets cool enough to handle.
- The thick outer skin should slide off fairly easily by squeezing with your hands.
- Slice beets in half, then into bite-size wedges.
- Toss with oil, lemon juice, onions, salt, and pepper, and include any additions. Serve salad warm or chilled.
Serves 2–4 as a side salad. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 50–60 minutes.