Recipe by Rebecca Dienner for The FruitGuys
- Two apples, sliced into bite-sized pieces (peels optional)
- 1 cup potatoes, thinly sliced into bite-sized chunks about 1/4-inch thick
- 1/2 cup carrots, thinly sliced on the diagonal about 1/4-inch thick
- 1/4 cup onion, minced or very thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup celery, thinly sliced or chopped (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 2 cups salad greens (optional)
- 3/4 cup crí¨me fraí®che, sour cream, mayonnaise, or Vegenaise
- 2–3 tablespoons white wine vinegar or lemon juice
- Two tablespoons fresh parsley, or 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- One teaspoon sugar or honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Boil carrots and potatoes in a medium pot of water until soft when pierced with a fork, but not mushy, about 10 minutes.
- Drain potatoes and carrots.
- While they cool, vigorously whisk together dressing ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add apples, celery, cooled carrots, and potatoes.
- If desired, serve over a bed of greens and sprinkle with walnuts.
This recipe serves 4 as a salad entrée. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time 10–15 minutes.