Recipe by Rebecca Dienner for The FruitGuys
- 2–3 cups Brussels sprouts*, thinly sliced or shredded (in a food processor or by hand)
- 1 cup crisp apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup carrot, grated (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or very thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice or apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon wholegrain mustard (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: a handful of shaved pecorino cheese and/or chopped walnuts or toasted hazelnuts
- In a heavy-bottomed pan, add olive oil and garlic. Sauté over medium-high heat for 1 minute.
- Stir in the shredded Brussels, kohlrabi, and/or cabbage.
- Cook until greens wilt slightly but are still a bit crisp (between 3–7 minutes depending on the type).
- Remove from heat and toss with sliced apples, carrot (if using), lemon juice or vinegar, and mustard (if using); season with the desired amount of salt, pepper, and optional cheese and/or nuts.
- Serve warm.
Serves 4 as a side salad. Prep time, 10–15 minutes; cook time, 5 minutes.
Cook’s note: *Shredded cabbage and/or kohlrabi may be substituted for or combined with Brussels sprouts in this recipe.