Recipe by Rebecca Dienner for The FruitGuys
- 4 cups potatoes (sweet or regular) well-scrubbed, and/or peeled kohlrabi bulb; cut into sticks about ⅓-inch wide by 2 inches long
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 4 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon to 1 tablespoon dried peppers, finely chopped (optional)
- Chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, and salt to taste
- If using potatoes, cover with cold water, bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook until slightly tender, about 7 minutes.
- Drain well in a colander.
- Toss cooked potatoes and/or uncooked kohlrabi in a bowl with the flour to lightly coat.
- In a cast-iron skillet, heat oil over medium-high (stir in dried peppers, if using), and fry sticks for about 2–3 minutes on each side or until browned.
- Once browned, dust the fries with spices and salt, and serve hot with ketchup or mustard.
Serves 4–6 as a side dish. Prep time, 8 minutes; cook time, 4–6 minutes.