- 1 large or 2 small zucchini, cut into ribbons (about 3 cups)
- 2–3 medium beets, roasted and cut into bite-size wedges
- 2–3 shallots, minced
- 1 cup carrots, shredded
- 1 1/2 cups snow peas, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup fresh minced herb leaves, such as basil or parsley; or 1/4 cup chopped cilantro or dill
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts, cashews, or almonds (optional)
- 1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese or feta (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 °F.
- Scrub beets and trim off their tops and tails.
- Wrap each beet in tin foil and roast on a baking sheet for about 40 minutes or until beets are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Once cool, peel off the skin (should come off easily using your fingers, but be careful with the juice—it can stain fabric!) and cut beets into bite-size wedges.
- While beets are roasting, prepare the rest of the salad. Cut ends off of zucchinis and use a veggie peeler to peel long “ribbons” from the zucchini—about 1/8-inch thick or less.
- Place zucchini ribbons in a large bowl with carrots, snow peas, and shallots.
- In a separate mixing bowl or lidded jar, whisk or shake lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper, and fresh herbs until emulsified.
- Drizzle desired amount of dressing on veggies in a large bowl, and toss gently to mix.
- Once mixed, top with beets, nuts, and cheese (if using) and serve.
- Note: if using red beets, adding them in when tossing the salad can stain the other ingredients fuchsia, which can be rather fun too!
Serves 2–3. Prep time, 10–15 minutes; cook time, around 40 minutes.