Recipe by Rebecca Dienner for The FruitGuys
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes, diced (regular, roma, or cherry)
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil or parsley, or 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1–2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2–3/4 cup fresh “fior di latte” mozzarella, chopped, or 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound penne pasta
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add pasta and cook to desired tenderness.
- While pasta is cooking, in a large mixing bowl, mix tomatoes, herbs, garlic, olive oil, and balsamic vinegar.
- Drain pasta well, and add to mixing bowl while still hot. Toss a few times to evenly coat the pasta with the sauce.
- Taste and add the desired amount of salt, pepper, and chili flakes if using. Toss again.
- Top with chopped fresh mozzarella, and serve.
Serves 4 as an entrée. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 25 minutes.