- 2 portobello mushrooms, cleaned with a dry towel
- 1/4 cup shallot or onion, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, divided, plus more for rubbing
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup cheese (Gruyí¨re, fontina, goat, mozzarella), grated and divided
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (parsley, basil, rosemary), minced
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Rub the tops, sides, and under part of the portobellos with a little bit of olive oil, and place them in a baking dish, gills up.
- In a small bowl, mix shallots or onions, 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, balsamic vinegar, and salt.
- Stuff the gill side of each mushroom with 1/4 cup cheese and the shallot mixture.
- Top mushrooms with the remaining cheese, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until mushrooms begin to release juice and the cheese starts to brown. Sprinkle with herbs.
Serves 2 as a side. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 15 minutes.