- 4 apples (any combination), cored and cut in eight slices
- 2 pears (ripe, but not too soft), cored and cut in eight slices
- ½ cup sugar, divided
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold butter
- ⅓ cup milk
- ½ cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Toss apples and pears with ¼ cup sugar and place in a buttered baking dish.
- Mix together flour, ¼ cup sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Cube the cold butter, add to flour and mix with knives or a pastry cutter until it resembles coarse meal.
- Add milk and stir briefly until just mixed.
- Spoon mixture over fruit (sprinkle on walnuts now if using) and bake in the oven on lowest rack for 45–50 minutes or until fruit is fork-tender.
Cook’s Note: Recipe may be cut in half.
Serves 4. Prep time, 15–20 minutes; cook time, 45–50 minutes.