Adapted from recipes.sparkpeople.com
1/2 head of Romanesco
1/2 head of cabbage
4 small potatoes
1 tablespoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons olive oil
2–3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
1–2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
Salt and pepper to taste
- Add a couple inches of water to a medium saucepan that fits with a vegetable steamer, and bring to a boil.
- Scrub and chop unpeeled potatoes into 1-inch cubes, place in a steamer, put over boiling water, and cover.
- While potatoes steam, rinse and separate Romanesco into small florets. When potatoes are still slightly firm and starting to soften, add florets to steamer.
- While veggies steam, rinse and chop cabbage. Check steamer periodically and remove from heat once potatoes and Romanesco are both tender.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil and sesame oil over medium heat. Add garlic and sauté until fragrant (2–3 minutes). Stir in fresh ginger, add cabbage and sauté for 2–3 minutes, then mix in potatoes and Romanesco.
- Cook for another 2–3 minutes, but don’t overcook—cabbage should stay slightly crispy. Remove from heat and serve.
Serves 4–6 as a side dish. Prep time, 5–10 minutes; cook time, 20–25 minutes.