Adapted from southernfood.about.com
Spring and summer weather present the perfect opportunity to grill your favorite foods. Why not enjoy some portobello mushrooms? Once grilled, this large, versatile mushroom can be served whole (burger-style) or in strips to add deliciousness to your plate.
2 portobello mushrooms, stems removed (gills optional, depending on preference)
1 tablespoon olive oil, butter, or combo of both
1 garlic clove, minced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Salt and pepper to taste
- Gently wash mushrooms (and gills if keeping; if not, scrape off) and let drain, stem side down.
- Preheat a covered outdoor grill (or stovetop grill pan with cover) to medium high.
- In a saucepan, heat oil and/or butter, and stir to combine with lemon juice and garlic.
- Remove from heat, and brush mushrooms generously with mixture, reserving extra mixture in a dish.
- Grill covered, stem-side down, for about 8 minutes.
- Brush tops with mixture, flip, and grill for 6–8 minutes or until tender and nicely browned.
- Lightly salt and pepper and slice into strips or keep whole for mushroom burgers.
Serves 2. Prep time, 5–7 minutes; cook time, 15–20 minutes.