Recipe by Rebecca Dienner for The FruitGuys
1 pound sunchokes, aka Jerusalem artichokes (OK to supplement with regular or sweet potatoes), scrubbed, peeled, and cut into chunks
1–1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
1 cup cauliflower, chopped
2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups vegetable or chicken broth
1 tablespoon fresh thyme, rosemary, or parsley leaves, minced (optional)
1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Heat the butter or oil in a soup pot over medium heat and sauté the onions and garlic with a pinch of salt, until the onions are soft and almost translucent.
- Add the sunchokes, potatoes (if using), cauliflower, and broth.
- Lower heat and simmer, partially covered, until the vegetables are very soft and begin to fall apart, about 45 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender or upright blender, blend soup until smooth.
- Adjust salt and pepper to taste. If using, mix in cream and sprinkle with freshly minced herbs.
Serves 4. Prep time, 20 minutes; cook time, 45 minutes.