Adapted from Bon Appetit
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- One medium yellow onion, peeled and finely chopped
- Six garlic cloves, chopped
- Two Tablespoons chili powder
- Two teaspoons dried oregano
- One 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- Two red jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- One green bell pepper, cored and coarsely chopped
- One 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- Three carrots, peeled and coarsely chopped
- One cup of water
- One pound of Chili Bean Carnival mix
- One half cup plain, Greek-Style yogurt
- One half cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Three green onions with the ends removed and finely chopped
- One half cup cilantro, finely chopped
- Heat olive oil in a heavy large pot over medium heat.
- Add onions, green bell peppers, red jalapeno pepper, and garlic.
- Sauté for 8 to 10 minute until the onions soften and start to become translucent.
- Mix in chili powder, oregano, cumin and stir for 2 minutes — mix in beans, 1 cup water, and diced tomatoes.
- Bring chili to boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for 15-20 minutes, occasionally stirring, until flavors blend and chili thickens.
- Season to your liking with the salt and pepper.
- Ladle chili into bowls and top with a dollop of yogurt, a sprinkling of cheese, chopped cilantro, and green onions, to taste.