- 1 cup of brown rice
- 3 cups of vegetable broth (from boullion)
- ½ cup of water
- 1 broccoli crown, cut into ¾-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup of sugar snap peas, ends removed and chopped in half
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
Prepare the rice:
- Rinse rice in a strainer under cold running water for 30 seconds. Bring 6 cups water to a boil in a large pot with a tight-fitting lid over high heat. Add the rice, stir it once, and boil, uncovered over medium heat, for 30 minutes. Pour the rice into a strainer over the sink.
- Let the rice drain for 10 seconds, then return it to the pot. Cover the pot and set it aside (not on hot burner) to allow the rice to steam for 10 minutes. Uncover the rice, fluff with a fork, and season with salt.
Prepare the stir-fry:
- Bring ½ cup water to boil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and the snap peas. Cover and simmer until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Drain and dry the skillet.
- Heat the oil in the same skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, green onions, ginger and dried red pepper (if you want the rice to be spicy). Sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Stir vegetables into scallops.
- Add the cooked rice, soy sauce, and sesame oil to the vegetables and stir-fry until heated through, about 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and enjoy.
Serves 2. Prep time, 40 minutes; cook time, 7 minutes.