Recipe by Bridget Meigs
- 1 bunch Gai Lan
- 2 shallots
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 teaspoon of rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Whisk together soy sauce, honey, rice wine vinegar, and water in a small dish and set near the stovetop.
- Rinse Gai Lan well, trim ends, and coarsely chop.
- Peel and mince the shallots.
- Heat the olive oil over med-high heat in a large heavy-bottomed frying pan. Add the chopped Gai Lan and 1/2 teaspoon salt and toss with tongs to
- coat well.
- Sauté the greens for 5 to 6 minutes, turning occasionally with tongs or a large spoon.
- Reduce heat to low, and add the minced shallots. Sauté, stirring constantly with a spoon until shallots are softened and fragrant (about 1 minute).
- Add the soy, honey, and vinegar mixture to the greens and cook, stirring, until the liquid reduces to a glaze-like consistency (about 1 minute).
- Enjoy with your favorite grain. Serves 2–3.