Adapted from Rancho la Puerta Cookbook
- One bulb fennel
- 1½ teaspoons sesame oil
- Three cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- One small dried hot chili pepper
- One shallot, finely diced
- One small head bok choy, chopped
- 1-star anise
- One teaspoon minced ginger
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- One teaspoon chopped rosemary
- One tablespoon soy sauce
- Two tablespoons orange juice
- Cut the bottom and stem off the fennel and save for later recipes. Chop the heart into bite-size pieces.
- In a large skillet, heat the sesame oil over medium heat.
- Add the garlic, chili pepper, shallot, and bok choy, and cook, stirring often until garlic starts to color and vegetables begin to soften, about 4 minutes.
- Stir in the fennel, star anise, and ginger.
- Add the broth, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the rosemary, soy sauce, and orange juice.
- Discard the star anise and chili pepper and serve hot over steamed rice or cellophane noodles.
Serves 2. Preparation and cook time, 35 minutes.