by Tanya Milosevich
- 2 parsnips, scrubbed well or peeled and cut in diagonal chunks
- 3–4 carrots, scrubbed well or peeled and cut in diagonal chunks
- 1–2 potatoes, sliced in wedges
- 1–2 yams, sliced in wedges
- 1 red onion, sliced in eighths
- 1/3–1/2 cup olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs for garnish (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- Pour a little olive oil onto an edged baking pan.
- Toss the vegetables and remaining olive oil together in a bowl and spread onto the baking pan. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Roast until vegetables are soft and just beginning to caramelize, about 40 minutes, carefully turning once after about 25 minutes.
- Add more salt and pepper to taste, add fresh herb garnish (optional) and serve.
Serves 4 as a side dish or appetizer. Prep time, 15–20 minutes; cook time: 40 minutes.
Cook’s note: It’s best not to try turning the vegetables until they’ve started to brown on the bottom, otherwise they’ll fall apart. Beets can be used as well, but it’s best to roast them separately as they’ll turn the other veggies pink.