Adapted from epicurious.com
- 2 large potatoes (or 3 medium), cut in ¾-inch cubes
- 1 cup mushrooms, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup baby carrots, halved, cut into bite-size lengths
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Scrub potatoes and steam (or microwave with a few tablespoons of water) until just tender.
- Meanwhile, heat oil to medium-high heat in a cast iron or nonstick skillet, and sauté onions for 3–5 minutes.
- Add garlic and mushrooms, and sauté for about 5 minutes, then add carrots, and sauté another 5 minutes.
- Add cubed potatoes, and stir to coat with oil (add a bit more oil if the pan is dry). Sauté another 5 minutes or until potatoes are golden-brown and carrots have reached desired consistency.
- Salt and pepper to taste, and serve hot.
Serves 3–4 as a side dish. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 15–20 minutes.