Recipe by The FruitGuys
- One bunch kale (stems removed), washed thoroughly and spun or patted dry
- Two tablespoons–1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon (or sub one tablespoon balsamic or red wine vinegar)
- Two teaspoons honey or agave (optional if a sweet dressing is preferred)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- One avocado, diced (note: half the avocado can be massaged in with the kale to give it a lovely, creamy texture; the other half can be added before serving)
- 1/2 cup toasted pine nuts, sunflower seeds, or pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- Fresh corn kernels cut from the cob
- Grated carrots
- Chopped stone fruit, apples, or pears
- Dried cranberries
- Chop or tear kale into bite-sized pieces, and place in a large salad bowl.
- Drizzle on lemon juice and enough olive oil to lightly coat (you can always add more later), and sprinkle lightly with salt (add in 1/2 avocado if using).
- Massage kale for 2–3 minutes until leaves have softened, then allow to marinate for at least 15 minutes before tossing with extras.
- After marinating, taste kale for texture and dressing. Add more olive oil, salt, and pepper as needed.
- Sprinkle on extras of choice (note: it’s best to go with only one sweet ingredient, especially if using honey or agave in the dressing), and serve!
This recipe serves 4. Prep time, 10–20 minutes; time to marinate, 15 minutes to 1 hour.