By Rebecca Dienner for The FruitGuys
- Two-three cups root vegetables in 1-inch dice (potatoes and sweet potatoes, scrubbed, peels left on; beets and celeriac, scrubbed and peeled)
- One cup onion, chopped
- Two-three loves garlic, minced
- One-two tablespoons olive oil
- Two teaspoons maple syrup
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- One-two tablespoons fresh herb leaves (dill, basil, oregano, or sage), chopped
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Toss root vegetables, onion, and garlic in enough olive oil to lightly, evenly coat.
- Stir in maple syrup and sprinkle on salt and pepper (if using sage, add to the mixture now).
- Place in a 9–13-inch baking dish, and bake for 45 minutes or until veggies are tender when pierced with a fork.
- Stir mixture once halfway through the cooking process.
- Toss cooked veggies with the desired amount of fresh dill, basil, or oregano, and add more salt and pepper to taste.
Serves 2–3. Prep time, 15 minutes; cook time, about 45 minutes.
Cook’s note: If using red beets, they’ll stain the root vegetables a pretty fuchsia color.