Recipe by Rebecca Dienner for The FruitGuys
- 3 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans), canned or fresh
- One grapefruit, supremed (see Cook’s note)
- 1/2 cup basil, chiffoned
- One fennel bulb, sliced (see Cook’s note)
- 1/3 cup shallot, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil, balsamic, and salt.
- Stir in chickpeas, grapefruit, basil, fennel, and shallots.
- Toss well, and adjust salt and add pepper to taste.
Serves 4 as a salad entrée. Prep time, overnight plus 10 minutes; cook time, 1 hour.
1. “Supreming” citrus means to cut away the peel and pith, and slice the juicy segments from in between the membrane.
2. Cutting a fennel bulb—cut the stalks and fronds from the bulb, then trim off the base on the flat end of the bulb. Keep some of the fronds to use as a fragrant garnish to the salad (the stalks can also be eaten). Set the bulb on its flat bottom, top side up, then cut it in half. Now set the fennel halves cut side down, and very thinly slice perpendicular to the grain to make bite-sized slices.