Recipe by Rebecca Dienner for The FruitGuys
- 2 cups cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup carrots, grated
- 1 cup mild radish (such as daikon or watermelon radish), yacon root, jicama, and/or a crisp apple, sliced into matchsticks (peel jicama/yacon root)
- 1 cup orange, Cara Cara, grapefruit, or another sweet citrus, supremed (see Cook’s note)
- ¼ cup shallot or onion, minced
- ¼ cup almonds, slivered and toasted
- ¼ cup sesame seeds
- ¼ cup sesame oil
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar, rice vinegar, or lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon honey, agave, or sugar
- Black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, toss the cabbage, carrots, radish (etc.), orange, onion, almonds, and sesame seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients until emulsified.
- Add the desired amount of dressing to the vegetables, toss well, and adjust seasonings as desired.
Serves 4–6 as a side salad. Prep time, 20 minutes.
Cook’s note: “Supreming” citrus means to cut away the peel and pith, and slice the juicy segments from in between the membrane.