Recipe by The FruitGuys
- 2 cups green cabbage (regular, Napa, or Savoy), shredded or cut into very thin slices
- 1 cup grated carrot
- 1–2 cups mixed raw veggies of choice: bean sprouts, snow peas, sweet pepper, etc., sliced into thin strips
- 1 cup shiitake or other mushrooms, gently rinsed and thinly sliced
- 3–4 green onions (or a ¼ cup of scallions), chopped
- Fresh ginger, very finely minced (optional)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- Fresh mint, cilantro, or basil leaves
- Spring roll wrappers (aka, dried rice wrappers)
- Sauté sliced mushrooms on medium heat in a little vegetable oil for 3–5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together green onion, soy sauce, vinegar, and sesame oil.
- Combine warm mushrooms with other veggies (except for herbs and ginger) in a large bowl, and stir in dressing to taste.
- Fill a large shallow bowl with hot water. Submerge wrappers individually for 15–30 seconds, until soft and pliable.
- One at a time lay wrappers out and spread out 2–3 heaping tablespoons of veggie filling horizontally.
- Sprinkle with fresh herbs and a couple of pinches of fresh ginger (if using).
- Fold the bottom of the wrapper up to align with the top, fold in the left and right sides (press gently to seal), then roll up toward the top of the wrapper.
- Top with a sprig of fresh herbs, and serve with the dipping sauce of your choice.
Serves 3–4. Prep time, 15–20 minutes.