From Cooks Illustrated, January 1994
- ½ medium head of garlic
- 1 large rutabaga, peeled and cut into ¼-inch pieces
- 2 shallots or ½ cup regular onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or olive oil
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary or thyme leaves, finely chopped
- Ground black pepper
- Heat oven to 375 °F.
- If roasting garlic cloves in skins, simply break the head into individual cloves.
- Place rutabaga and garlic into a roasting pan large enough to hold without crowding. Toss with oil, onion, rosemary or thyme, and salt to taste.
- Roast in the oven, stirring or shaking vegetables every 15 minutes, for 30 minutes, before adding garlic.
- Raise heat to 425 °F and continue roasting until tender and evenly browned, 15–20 minutes.
- Sprinkle with pepper to taste, and serve hot or at room temperature.
Serves 2. Prep time, 10 minutes; cook time, 50 minutes.