Adapted from herbsspices.about.com
- 1 pint (8 ounces) ripe strawberries, rinsed, hulled, and sliced
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2–3 teaspoons good-quality balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground coarse black pepper
- Place the sliced berries in a medium nonreactive bowl (such as glass).
- Sprinkle the berries with sugar and balsamic vinegar, and toss gently to coat. Allow the berries to macerate in the mixture for about 15 minutes.
- Add 2–3 grinds of coarse black pepper to the berries, and toss to coat. Allow the flavors to blend about 5 minutes more before serving.
- Serve the berries over salad, ice cream, or toasted pound cake. Try them in shortcake or serve with a bit of whipped cream or lightly sweetened mascarpone.
Serves 2–3. Prep time, 5 minutes; seasoning time, 20 minutes.
Cook’s note: Recipe can be doubled. The better the quality of the balsamic vinegar and berries you use, the better this recipe will taste.