The FruitGuys GoodWorks Program
Our GoodWorks mission is to give back from seed to need. Our program has two components: The FruitGuys Community Fund, which supports the small sustainable farms that grow our food; and The FruitGuys donation program, which aims to reduce food waste and ensure that excess fruit reaches the hungry and those in need.
Small Farms, Big Impacts
The FruitGuys Community Fund
TheFruitGuysCommunityFund.org, a nonprofit fiscally sponsored project of Community Initiatives, was founded in 2012 to provide grants (up to $5,000) to small farms and agricultural nonprofits for sustainability projects that have a large positive impact on the environment, local food systems, and farm diversity. Apply for a grant. Help save a farm and donate now to The FruitGuys Community Fund.
- 2017: Ten small farms were awarded a total of $42, 913 for sustainability projects focused on soil health, seed-saving, pollinator health, water conservation, and more! Meet our 2017 grantees.
- 2016: We increased the number of grants awarded to small American farms and agricultural nonprofits to 10, providing a total of $40,188 in funding for sustainable agriculture projects. Meet our 2016 grantees.
- 2015: Eight recipients were awarded a total of $35,643 in grants based on their proposed project’s scores in the Community Fund’s 2015 areas of focus: water conservation, soil health, pollination, and energy efficiency. Preference was also given to farms that increase low-income consumers’ access to fresh produce. Read about the 2015 grantees.
- 2014: Eight recipients were awarded a total of $30,000 in grants based on scores for 2014’s areas of focus: pollination, pest control, soil health, and low income food access. This year, the Fund expanded its applicant area to include the Midwest. The 2014 grantees’ farms come from California (3), Maryland (2), Wisconsin (1), Illinois (1), and Pennsylvania (1), and projects range from beehive and batbox installations to pollinator hedgerows and drip irrigation and hoop houses. Read about the 2014 grantees.
- 2013: In our first year of operation, we awarded five grants to small farms in Pennsylvania and California for sustainability projects such as solar-powered irrigation, hoop houses to extend growing seasons, water reclamation, fencing and farm animals, and community outreach. Read about the 2013 grantees.
Get Involved: Donate to TheFruitGuysCommunityFund.org
Fighting Hunger with Fruit Donations
Weekly Fruit Donations to Food Banks
Since our business began in 1998, we have had a policy of zero food waste. We donate all excess fresh fruit to local food banks and charities in the communities we serve. Your business with us helps support our weekly fresh fruit donations to these organizations that help fight hunger. In 2017, we donated 2,245,184 servings of fresh fruit to those in need across the country.
- 2016: More than 2 million servings of fruit reached charitable organizations.
- 2015: More than 1.3 million servings of fruit reached charitable organizations.
- 2014: We donated more than 800,000 servings of fruit through weekly donations.
Donations to First Responders
We have also sent fruit donations to first responders to natural diasters such as Hurricane Katrina (New Orleans), Hurricane Sandy (New York and New Jersey), and tornadoes (Oklahoma 2013). Get Involved. Contact us if you would like to donate fruit to first responders.
Each year since 2008, our clients have generously donated hundreds of fruit boxes every holiday season to dozens of local charities in metro areas around our delivery hubs. Get Involved. You can donate your weekly fruit crate to a local charity at any time. Closed for the holidays? Away for vacation? Instead of canceling your delivery, just call 1-877-FRUIT-ME (378-4863) and we can set it up for you. Learn more about our Donate-a-Crate program.
Do you have a school, individual, or organization you'd like to donate a fruit box to on a regular basis? Call us. We can arrange a recurring delivery of bulk fruit at a discount. Get Involved. For more information, contact The FruitGuys Customer Service at email@example.com or 1-877-FRUIT-ME (378-4863) and we'll arrange it. (Free shipping in our regular delivery areas.)
HOW YOU CAN GET INVOLVED
You can make a difference in your community with The FruitGuys. Consider giving back through these programs:
Fruit it forward. You can donate your weekly fruit crate to a local charity at any time. Closed for the holidays? Away for vacation? Instead of canceling your delivery, just call 1-877-FRUIT-ME (378-4863) and we can set it up for you. Each year since 2008, our clients have generously donated hundreds of crates each holiday season to dozens of local charities. Learn more about our Donate-a-Crate program.
Become a Fruit Hero
Do you have a school, individual, or organization you'd like to donate a fruit box to on a regular basis? Call us. We can arrange a recurring delivery of bulk fruit at a discount. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org. (Free shipping in our regular delivery areas.)
Save a Farm: Donate to The FruitGuys Community Fund
Small donations can have a huge impact on a small farm, as evidenced by the projects funded by The FruitGuys Community Fund. A grant of just $2,000 can literally change a farm's life by allowing drip irrigation, a hoop house, or solar water pump. Please consider giving to The FruitGuys Community Fund and make a difference in a small farm's life.