Here’s a recipe for a prize-winning homemade apple pie!
Sebastopol Area Chamber of Commerce
Apple Pie Baking Contest 2008 Grand Champion
Kayleigh Stump’s Apple Pie Recipe
- 2 cups unbleached flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- 2 sticks very cold unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 heaping teaspoon brown sugar
- 5–8 tablespoons ice cold water
- 7 Gravenstein apples, peeled, cored, and sliced
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup water
- ½ cups packed brown sugar
- ½cup white sugar
- 1 cap full of vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon allspice
- Mix flour, almond flour, salt and brown sugar.
- Cut in butter.
- Drizzle in ice-cold water one tablespoon at a time, until crumbly dough stays together when pinched.
- Form two disks and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Roll out dough to line pie plate.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan.
- Stir in flour to form a paste.
- Add water, white sugar, spices, vanilla, and brown sugar, and bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer.
- Place the bottom crust in your pan.
- Fill with apples, mounded slightly.
- Cover with a latticework of crust.
- Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust.
- Pour slowly so that it does not run off.
- Bake 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees. Continue baking for 35-45 minutes, until apples are soft.